Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro


It is a Controlled Designation of Origin (DOC) semi-sparkling red wine. Made with at least 85% Lambrusco Grasparossa grapes and the remaining 15% can be other Lambrusco varieties (Salamino, Sorbara, Maestri, Marani, etc.) and/or Malbo Gentile. The base wine generally ferments in steel with the second fermentation taking place in autoclaves for two months, according to the Martinotti method.

– Recommended ageing period: none.
– Alcohol by volume: 11.5 % Vol.
– Made throughout the province of Modena in its 15 towns, plus part of the Modena town council area.
– Store in the cellar at a constant temperature of 11 to 15°C for two years; keep at room temperature only for a few weeks.
Serve at 10°C in medium sized glasses.

Characteristics (visual, scent, flavour):
Pronounced crimson with a purplish perlage. Its scent is primarily fruity, with strawberry, wild blackberry, and blackcurrant in the forefront, followed by rose nuances. The taste is both velvety, and dynamic, with well-balanced crisp, zesty notes, often accompanied by mild residual sugars which enhance its roundness.
The wine’s delicate structure pairs ideally with the characteristics of this medium mature Grana Padano. Additionally, the mild savouriness and slight acidity of the cheese are complimented by the softness and mild residual sugars of the wine.

Curious facts
“Lambrusco is considered one of the world’s most native vines; it is a genetic evolution of vitis vinifera silvestris occidentalis which was first cultivated in the Modena area. Famous through the ages, there are references to it dating as far back as 1430, when Nicolò III d’Este noted that ‘of all the wine taken from Modena to Paris, only half the customs tariffs is payable’, in order to promote its sale.
The production regulations provide for semi-sparkling and sparkling versions that are not particularly different in terms of aroma and flavour terms, but only with reference to their carbon dioxide levels.
It is fairly easy to source in both wine shops and at large-scale retailers.”

Other semi-sparkling red wines which go well with Grana Padano PDO aged 9 to 16 months:
– Bonarda dell’Oltrepò Pavese frizzante
– Freisa d’Asti frizzante
– Penisola Sorrentina Gragnano