Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore


This is a sparkling Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin (DOCG) white wine. It is made with at least 85% Glera grapes and the remaining 15% can be Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera and Glera lunga. The base wine generally ferments in steel with the second fermentation taking place in autoclaves for three months, according to the Martinotti method.

– Recommended ageing period: none.
– Alcohol by volume: 11.5 % Vol.
– Produced in the hilly area around 15 towns in the province of Treviso.
– Store in the cellar at a constant temperature of 11-15 °C for two years; keep at room temperature only for a few weeks.
– Serve at 6°C in medium sized, long-stemmed glasses.

Characteristics (visual, on the nose, in the mouth):
Resplendent straw yellow with a fine, constant and long lasting perlage. On the nose there are notes of jasmine, elderflower, and Williams pear with slight herb nuances. On the palate, above all in the extra dry version, it is silky and mouth-filling, fairly long-in-the-mouth and livened up by a fragrantly zesty note.
The wine’s delicate structure pairs ideally with the characteristics of this medium mature Grana Padano. Moreover, the sweetish notes of the cheese, predominant on the palate, are effectively counterbalanced by its perlage and bring out the wine’s tangy matrix.

Curious facts
“The Conegliano and Valdobbiadene Prosecco hills became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2019.
The Conegliano Oenology School, founded in 1876, was the first training school of its kind in Italy, and it made a great contribution to the progress of technical production support.
Its production specifications encompass a still (not sparkling) and a semi-sparkling version, both of which are made in much smaller quantities than the sparkling version.
It is fairly easy to source in both wine shops and at large-scale retailers.”

Other sparkling white wines which go well with Grana Padano PDO aged 9 to 16 months:
– Colli Bolognesi Pignoletto Spumante
– Asti secco
– Torbato di Alghero Spumante
– Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Spumante