Sicilia Nero D'Avola
This is a Controlled Designation of Origin (DOC) red wine. It is made with at least 85% Nero d’Avola grapes and the remaining 15% can be suitable varieties from the Sicily region. It is fermented in steel (very rarely in wood) and frequently aged in steel and wood barrels. While no minimum ageing period is specified in the regulations, the wine is not generally sold before 12 months after the harvest.
Characteristics (visual, scent, flavour):
- Recommended ageing period: 2 to 5 months depending on vintage.
- Alcohol by volume: 13% Vol.
- Made throughout the region of Sicily.
- Store in the cellar at a constant temperature of 11 to 15 °C for several years; at room temperature only for a few weeks.
- Serve at 18°C in wide glasses.
Deep ruby red with purplish highlights and a pronounced consistency. A floral opening reminiscent of wilted rose and geranium followed by candied orange peel, rhubarb, roasted coffee, and clove aromas and a graphite finish. The flavour is soft and mouth-filling thanks to high alcohol levels perfectly balanced by crisp tanginess and pronounced tannins.
The wine’s full bodied structure is a perfect match for the complexity of this mature Grana Padano. Furthermore, the marked savoury notes of the cheese are suitably balanced by the velvetiness of the wine.
Curious factsNero d’Avola is the jewel in Sicily's wine crown and also the most extensively grown grape variety. Also known as ‘Calabrese’, probably as a result of a mistaken translation from Sicilian dialect, because ‘cala’ means grape and ‘aulisi’ was the original name of Avola, a place in the province of Siracusa.
It is fairly easy to source in both wine shops and at large-scale retailers.
Other full-bodied red wines recommended with Grana Padano Riserva aged over 20 months:
- Chianti Classico
- Cannonau di Sardegna
- Castel del Monte Nero di Troia
- Langhe Nebbiolo