Castelli di Jesi Verdicchio Riserva
This is a Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin (DOCG) white wine. Made with at least 85% Verdicchio grapes. Fermented in steel (and more rarely in wood) this wine is aged for a minimum of 18 months, at least 6 months of which have to be in the bottle.
Characteristics (visual, scent, flavour):
- Recommended ageing period: 2-6 years from the release date.
- Alcohol by volume: 13.5% Vol.
- Made in 22 towns of the province of Ancona and 2 in the province of Macerata, corresponding to the bulk of the River Esino basin.
- Store in the cellar at a constant temperature of 11-15°C for a few years or at room temperature for just a few weeks.
- Serve at 12°C in medium sized glasses.
Dazzling straw yellow with exquisite golden highlights. The scent recalls nuances of yellow peach, camomile flowers, and hay with mild wafts of iodine towards the end. This round yet soft tasting wine also has a vibrant tanginess, ensuring a pleasant overall balance.
This elegant wine and its evolution are a perfect match for the mature characteristics of Grana Padano Riserva. Furthermore, the medium and pleasant savouriness of the cheese are perfect for this wine’s soft mouth-filling quality.
Curious factsIt is one of the very few Italian white wines to have a Riserva in its production specifications.
There is a version called Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi made in the same production area with a shorter ageing period. A Classico version also exists, produced in a smaller area, excluding the left bank of the Misa River and the towns of Ostra and Senigallia in the province of Ancona.
It is fairly easy to source in both wine shops and at large-scale retailers.
Other medium bodied white wines recommended with Grana Padano Riserva aged over 20 months:
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano Riserva
- Collio Friulano Riserva